Fisherman's Village: Kent Narrows

Since 1930, the tradition of offering delicious food, friendly service and hospitality continues in Fisherman’s Village!

In 1930, Kent Narrows was a marshland inhabited by muskrats, until Captain Alex Thomas and his wife Mae opened the original Fisherman’s Inn. Initially seating 30 guests and featuring a grocery store, the couple lived upstairs with their children, often renting their own bedrooms to anglers. In 1939, a second floor with additional guest rooms was added, and the opening of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in 1952 led to the expansion of the restaurant with a screened porch to accommodate more guests.

In 1971, the couple’s daughter Betty and son-in-law Oscar “Sonny” Schulz built and opened a larger restaurant, and three years later, the purchase of an adjoining property led to the establishment of Fisherman’s Seafood Market.

Tragedy struck in 1980 when a fire destroyed the restaurant, but the Schulz family rebuilt and reopened in July of 1981. In 1991, Fisherman’s Crab Deck was added to Fisherman’s Village, becoming an Eastern Shore landmark.

Today, the tradition of offering delicious food and friendly service continues with Andy, Jody, and Tracy, sons of Oscar and Betty. In 2023, the Hyatt Place Kent Narrows opened in Fisherman’s Village, offering spacious rooms, water views, and an indoor pool.

Learn more about all Fisherman’s Village has to offer at