- This event has passed.
2022 Wheat Harvest Festival
June 18, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
The Friends of Wye Mill, will be having a Wheat Harvest Festival on Saturday June 18th. Held at the Wye Grist Mill in Wye Mills. Festivities will be from 10 am to 3 pm. The mill will celebrate 340 years of operation . They will have wheat from the mill ground into flour for festival goers to purchase. A 340th commemorative gift wil be available with purchases of $8 or more while supplies last (limit 1 per family)
In addition to mill demonstrations, other activities include:
- Sampling of some baked goods made with our stone ground products
- Local farmer Gerry Godfrey of Mt. Zion Farm in Caroline County will be on hand to discuss Einkorn, the ancient variety of wheat which has low gluten and high flavor, that the Old Wye Mill purchases and grinds into flour
- Colonial re-enactors of the Maryland First Regiment will be giving cooking demonstrations and perform typical parade moves
- There are new “activity backpacks” for children (two versions, for grades K-3 and grades 4-6) which can be borrowed and returned to make the most of your visit
- Face painting by local artist Laura Hemsley
- A raffle will be held for a goose decoy model, hand carved by a local artist ($5 ticket)
- Live entertainment by Kendall Neuwiller, singer
- Grinding grain by hand
- Crab basket toss for fun (or perhaps organize a tournament)
- Paul Gunther’s famous food truck (10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- Angela Elmore will be selling beautifully decorated cookies
- Anna Snappinger, local flowers
- Aaron Cooper, Cutfresh Organics, LLC of Wicomico County
The Old Wye Mill is open during the months of May through October from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesdays through Saturdays, and on Sundays from 1 pm to 3 pm. Grinding days, when the mill grinds flour or cornmeal, occur throughout the season on the first and third Saturdays of each month.
Group and school tours are available by request. Call the mill office at 410-827-3850.