Old Kennard High School
Kennard High School was the first and only secondary school in Queen Anne’s County for African Americans. It served students in 7th-12th grades and opened in the fall of 1936. The building consisted of four rooms, and cost $2,600 to build. That cost did not include lights however, and the local African-American community donated money to purchase lights. The school operated until 1966, when schools in the Queen Anne’s County were integrated.
The Kennard Alumni Association has restored the building, creating a cultural arts center for the community, called Kennard African American Cultural Heritage Center. The center provides a community meeting place, and is available to rent for special events. 443.239.2110
Open for touring the 1st Saturday of the month, May-October from 10am-2pm