Church Hill Theatre
Today’s Art Deco theater was designed and built at the foot of Walnut Street as a town hall in 1929.
The first movie, Steamboat Round the Bend, starring Will Rogers, was shown here in December 1935. A 1944 fire in the projection booth damaged the movie house’s interior, but the building reopened later that year after extensive renovations.
The theater operated as a movie house until the 1970s when declining ticket sales led the business to close its doors. The town auctioned the building in 1983, and a non-profit group of local residents bought the theater to save it from demolition. The building remains a performing arts center, producing and presenting community theater, performing arts workshops and musical performances. For show information call 410.556.6003.